Q&A: How Do You Get Your Children Excited About Reading?
If you want to get your kids excited about reading, get them excited about a story.
- Focus on the exciting “story” element of what you want them to read, as opposed to just focusing on the task of reading.
- Andy’s 10-year-old is currently reading Where the Red Fern Grows. It’s a great story that really resonates with kids.
- Andy has found that true stories get his kids even more excited.
Reading out loud is another good way to get kids into reading.
- Reading out loud is a great activity with which you can get the whole family involved.
- You can each act out different voices in the book.
- You could even dress up as characters from a book. Get creative!
- It will take a little bit of time and effort, but you can absolutely get your kids more excited about reading.
Talk to them about the lessons they learn from what they read.
- Value their thinking.