In The Loop with Andy Andrews, hosted by David Loy
On this week’s episode, I answer a listener question on how parenting principles translate to respectfully dealing with the negative people in your business or personal life.
I don’t think distancing yourself from negative people is disrespectful.
- You can remain respectful and honoring of people by telling them the truth.
- People react negatively to us when we put them off or try to get away from them.
- I think it’s much more respectful to say, “Thank you so much for the opportunity, but I’m not going to be able to do it.”
Here is a great example that I’ve thought about for years:
- A friend of mine and I were standing outside of a hotel in Orlando and my friend had on a very cool hat.
- A kid about 12 years old walks up and says, “Hey, that’s a great hat. Can I have it?”
- My friend, cool as a cucumber says, “No, but thanks for asking. I appreciate it.”
- He said no, but I thought that was very respectful.
The things that you have on your priority list are the things that are making you who you are.
- If you spent all your time in situations that you shouldn’t be in, you would not be the kind of person these people want to be with in the first place.
- I think your very first responsibility is to God.
- Your second responsibility is to your family.
- You cannot allow somebody else’s crazy thinking to infect yours.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Tune in to hear about the piano prodigy we had visit our office this week who’s played on SIXTY Number One hit songs!
Side note: If you’ve experienced a problem with In The Loop updating on your podcast feed, simply unsubscribe and resubscribe to the feed. We ran into an issue several weeks back that caused some subscribers to lose connection with the most recent episodes.
Thanks for listening and sorry for the inconvenience!
Questions for Andy
Would you like to run something by Andy? Contact us and your question might be featured on the show!
- Phone: 1-800-726-ANDY
- Email: InTheLoop@AndyAndrews.com