In The Loop with Andy Andrews, hosted by David Loy
What is it about you that other people would change if they could?
- I’m not saying we should live our lives according to other people.
- What I am saying is if you look at your life, business, family, and want people to believe what you believe, it really helps if they like you a little bit.
What if 25% of people were not comfortable with swearing? If you’re a business person, would you be okay with having 25% less business just because of the way you talk?
- I had a friend who wanted to quit cursing around his boys.
- He decided that he would pay a quarter every time he did.
- It made him more aware of his words.
The other day one of my boys had a look on his face, and I could tell something was wrong. I asked:
- Can you do anything about it?
- Since you can’t do anything about it, how are you going to deal with it?
- Since you can see an end to it, you can either put a smile on your face or walk around looking sad for the next two weeks.
- What I’m trying to do is not just tell him what to do, but explain why this is something that he needs to learn.
People can sense when something is wrong, but most people aren’t going to say anything to you.
- When you’re older, this can be something that affects you getting hired, promoted, or given new opportunities.
People will never change long term just because you say so. They will change long term when you…
- Provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt of what’s in it for them.
Back in the ‘80s when I was doing comedy, I was booking more shows than just about anybody, and was even given the award as campus entertainer of the year.
- I’m not saying this is brag on myself, because I know I was not the funniest comedian.
- The difference was that, before and after the shows, I hung out with the students who were booking me and developed friendly relationships with them.
Questions for Listeners
Do you have a question? Call in and your question might be featured on the show!
- Phone: 1-800-726-ANDY
- E-Mail: InTheLoop@AndyAndrews.com