Ever wondered what Andy’s favorite color is? Or how about his favorite food? In this tell-all interview, we ask Andy some rather curious, not-so-normal questions.
1) Favorite color?
2) Favorite number?
22 … My birthday is on a 22 and 22 was the number of my favorite football player from my childhood … Johnny Musso from the University of Alabama.
May 22, 1959. I was born in Birmingham, Alabama.
Larry and Joyce Andrews My parents both majored in music and met at Howard College (now Samford University) in Birmingham, Alabama. Daddy was a minister of music at large churches while Mom played the piano, organ, and directed the children’s choir programs. Mom died from cancer in 1979 at the age of 41 and Daddy was killed in an automobile accident shortly thereafter. He was 44.
5) Favorite memories of parents?
My mother’s laugh, her good night kisses (she smelled like mentholatum), and her singingâ€”she had a beautiful voice. Everyone who knew my mother loved her and to this day people tell me so.
My dad was memorable for his sense of humor and the creative ways he led people. And that includes his son. Once, when I was about 15, he caught a couple of friends and me smoking down by the pond behind our house. Instead of making a big scene or embarrassing me in front of my friends like I probably deserved, my fatherâ€”never revealing his presenceâ€”quietly photographed us. Several days later, when my buddies were back at our house, he tossed us a photo album of a family vacation in which he had slipped the “smoking” pictures. At first, when we came upon them, none of us recognized the scene. Slowly, we became horror stricken as we realized that the photographs were of us. Then, it hit us just who had taken the pictures. Later, I went to my father and handed him the album, saying, “Dad, I’m sorry. Can we remove the pictures of me being stupid?”
He answered, “Should we take them out before your mom has a chance to see them?”
I said, “Yes sir. Can we please?” He did and never said another word about it, but the message had been clear: I wasn’t getting away with anything!
6) Old stuff or new stuff?
New … mostly. I don’t love old cars or old houses or old furniture. And I REALLY hate old hotels. I’d much rather stay in a great Hampton Inn than one of New York City’s 150 year old historical treasures with their ancient water pipes and heaters. (My wife thinks I am nuts …) But on the other hand, I do like old people, old shirts, old books and the occasional old object that a person I admire once treasured.
7) Fishing boats or pleasure craft?
Fishing boats. I don’t have a boat now, but if I did, it would be a fishing boat. I always tell my wife: You can ride on a fishing boat but you can’t fish on a riding boat!
8) You talk often about seeking wisdom. Who are the wisest people you have ever met?
Well, lets say the “wisest people with whom I have been able to have a substantial conversation”. That might be easier to do! Wisest man? … you wouldn’t know him. He was an old guy and as much time as I spent around him, I never knew his first name. I called him “Jones”. The wisest woman (and I am leaving my mother out of this competition!) is a lady who lives in Anderson, Indiana. Her name is Gloria Gaither.
9) Favorite Restaurant Foods?
In no particular order:
- Fried shrimp at Wolf Bay Lodge â€” Elberta, Alabama
- Oyster sandwich at Sea N Suds â€” Gulf Shores, Alabama
- Macadamia Encrusted Mahi Mahi with Crab and Lobster Stuffing at Mama’s Fish House â€” Maui, Hawaii
- Sushi at The Happy Sumo â€” Salt Lake City, Utah
- Ribeye steak at Shula’s â€” any location
- Grilled Salmon at J. Alexander’s â€” any location
- Seabass at Havana Blue in St. Thomas, USVI
10) Favorite Foods at Home
In no particular order:
- Hamburgers, steaks, or fish cooked on our Big Green Egg (it’s more than just a grill!)
- Polly’s Spaghetti
- My mother in law’s Banana Pudding
- Our seafood gumbo
- My Chicken and Dumplings
- Oysters Rockefeller from my dad’s old recipe
11) Foods you hate?
- Red Beans and Rice
- English Pea (or Green bean) Casserole
- Bean Soup (or “bean” anything for that matter …)
12) Favorite Movies?
- The Legend of Bagger Vance
- A Christmas Story
- The Princess Bride
13) Favorite Books?
In no particular order:
- Forrest Gump by Winston Groom
- The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins
- The Greatest Miracle by Og Mandino
14) Superman or Batman?
Superman. When I was a kid, I dreamed of being Superman and using my powers to play running back for the University of Alabama. I would ease off occasionally to keep my identity a secret. Of course that was boyhood silliness. Now, as an adult, I would rather play in the NFL. For the Colts.
15) Greatest Television Shows of All Time
Note: These aren’t just my favorites … they really are the greatest of all time!
- 1) The Andy Griffith Show (Don’t ever argue with me about this one …)
- The Wonder Years
- St. Elsewhere
- The Odd Couple
- Dirty Jobs (If you don’t know this one, check it out on the Discovery Channel … Mike Rowe is awesome!)
16) Favorite American Cities?
- San Diego
- Salt Lake City
17) Favorite Book of Your Own?
My favorite book that I have written is definitely Island of Saints. The actual storyâ€”before and after I wrote itâ€”still holds an intense fascination for me. While The Traveler’s Gift has certainly sold more copies, I think I enjoy a reader’s reaction to Island of Saints the most! And they always ask me the same question … “How much of this is true?” My response, by the way, is “a great deal”, but I am sworn to secrecy on any more than that particular answer!
18) Favorite Songs?
In no particular order …
- Something Beautiful
- Ventura Highway
- Cool Change
- Mary, Did You Know?
- The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
- Then Came The Morning (the way Ernie Haase and Signature Sound do it)
- Barometer Soup
- Vincent (the original “Starry, Starry Night” by Don McLean)
- Pancho and Lefty
- Old Dogs, Children, and Watermelon Wine
- Crazy (by Gnarls Barkley)
- Gordon Mote
- The Issacs
- Norah Jones
20) Favorite Magazines?
- Sports Illustrated
- ESPN: The Magazine
- Sportfishing Magazine
- Florida Sportsman
21) Favorite American Presidents?
- Abraham Lincoln
- Harry Truman
- John Adams
22) Thinker/Speaker/Author who has most impacted how you live your life?
- Og Mandino
- Andy Stanley
23) Characteristics you least admire in others?
- Excuse Making
24) Coffee or Tea?
Hot coffee and iced tea!
25) Favorite Board Game?
Apples to Apples
26) Characteristic you least admire in yourself?