In The Loop with Andy Andrews, hosted by David Loy
On this week’s episode, we have Austin back in the studio with us to talk about his business, Sporty Citrus.
This business has taken off in a way that I don’t think we could have imagined a few years ago.
- It’s amazing what Austin is able to grow in pots—he grows grapefruit, satsumas, oranges, Meyer lemons, and a lot more.
- If Austin is running behind or has a really big job, I’ll help with the trimming or will drive him around.
- Apparently I don’t get paid very often, and I haven’t been able to get myself fired yet, but Austin really handles most of the work by himself.
- He started with a little trailer on his bicycle.
There was a point where Austin was hired to work on a property with 25 mature citrus trees.
- The entire property had not been touched in 15 years.
- We would go there every single week all summer for a couple hours.
- I knew it was worth the sweat when he would be working on the tree next to me and I realized it provided a wonderful opportunity just to think of new things to talk about with one another.
- That time with him was something special.
We also got to talk to Austin himself this week, about Sporty Citrus and a lot more. Here are a couple excerpts:
What’s been the coolest experience that’s come out of Sporty Citrus?
Coming up, I’m going to get to speak at the Business Council of Alabama.
Is there any pressure on you because your dad is an author and people are seeking out his advice on what to do with their kids?
I wouldn’t say it’s weird, but it’s definitely something I keep in mind…and I’m cautious.
In the full episode, you’ll hear how Andy’s wife, Polly, took advantage of a prime teaching moment when the boys began a silly argument about a chore…
Questions for Listeners
Do you have a question? Call in and your question might be featured on the show!
- Phone: 1-800-726-ANDY
- E-Mail: InTheLoop@AndyAndrews.com